Must philatelic organisations decide for us what a stamp is?

Topics about Argentina Philately in english language.

Moderador: Rein

Responder
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Must philatelic organisations decide for us what a stamp is?

Mensaje por Rein »

Philatelic organisations - being them associations of philatelic societies or stamp dealers -tend to impose on us what is suppose to be a postage stamp and what not.

They are to decide NOT the Post Office! And they have weapons - stamps can be excluded from the catalogues and pre-printed albums and hardly anyone - especially the newly started collectors - will dare to collect differently.....

I realize that this is not always so but in some countries the Stamp Dealers Association has got a monopoly as to catalogues and the Stamp Societies are all to willing to cooperate and not offend the dealers....

My own experience refers to the Netherlands and Belgium and in this respect I am in a continuing state of war with the SDA over here ....

A few examples and questions:

A stamp that hasn't been announced far ahead - that is wasn't planned on the Year's Programme - can or should be neglected as the dealers hadn't had the opportunity to prepare and print their FDC's?

According to the Ethical Code of Philatelics of the UPU (Beijing, Bukuresti) the Post Office should provide ample information [not necesarily years in advance] and the access to the newly issued postage stamps.

The following Belgian postage stamps were not on the Year's Programme but were advertised in the Belgian Post Office Bulletin. The very stamps are available to the general public in almost every post office in Belgium. The general public does buy them and uses the postage stamps as can be proven by the occurence of these stamps in lots we can get in return from mail order houses.

So, where is the stamp collector??? Their official representatives [the Association] will not be bothered to inform their members about the existence of such stamps.

To a lesser extent the same goes for all variations of all other - this time accepted - stamps. With the exception of course of the varieties since they can make money for our dealers...

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: Must philatelic organisations decide for us what a stamp

Mensaje por Rein »

These Belgian stamps were - as I wrote - available to the general public a long time before philatelists realized they existed. It took years before the actual postage stamp - that is the right part - got admitted to the stamp catalogue OCB.

Dealers mainly sell the single stamp without tab but that doesn't mean they were ever printed printed without tabs. The tabs were just torn off! So the only IMHO natural way to collect them is with the tab still attached.

The tabs had had their pictures printed on a digital printing press by the Post Office Printing Works in Mechelen.

You may perceive 2 different groups:

- the pictures devised by the Post Office in close cooperation with 2 firms: Duostamp [subdivision of De Post] and Hallmark. The Post Office has these stamps for sale - and I consider them postage stamps issued by the Post Office rather than "personalized stamps" (there is nothing personal about it, just as there is nothing personal about any other postage stamp available from over the counter!]
- pictures devised by you or me or my firm or my in the nude swimming society:
you can order these stamps in sheets of 15, pay more or less double the price of the face value and you will be sent these sheet to your home address. This is the real personalized postage stamp!

There is a real, intrinsic difference between those 2 groups. The first is - what I call them - the back-door stamp issued by the Post Ofiice that doesn't want to offend the philatelists (or their representatives in the Associations). The whole group should be admitted to a stamp catalogue as any other postage stamp!

For the second group - the only real personalized stamps - it may be virtually impossible to admit all of them to any catalogue.

In the Nethelrands the average number of printing orders amounts about 1.600 daily!!!!!

What needs to be done is to distinguish them according to printing techniques, different design of the basic stamp or stamp-frame, etc.
Responder

Volver a “Argentina Philately in the language of Shakespeare”